Disclaimer

This website is meant for information purposes and should not in any way be a substitute for medical treatment. Always consult your personal physician for specific medical concerns.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Snacks at Work

I don't like to be hungry at work as I will get grumpy. The problem is that all day long people bring food into my office that I'd rather not eat. Sales reps bring big breakfasts with eggs, bacon, donuts and muffins. Patients and coworkers often bring in cake and donuts as well. Don't get me wrong, I like an occasional cookie or slice of birthday cake as much as the next person but if I'm hungry that's not what I'm looking for. So to counteract this barrage of junk food I bring snacks to the office and keep them at my desk. Here are some of my favorites:

Dried fruit(raisins, apricots, a mix), dried fruit mixed with nuts, nuts, bananas(very filling), other fresh fruit.

While I'm on this topic I will also address beverages. Like junk food, there is a plethora of soda in my office. I actually think that the bottles are reproducing. This stuff is terrible for you. One 8 oz. glass of soda has no nutrition except about 100 calories worth of sugar(these days in the form of high fructose corn syrup). How do I get around this? Prepare ahead of time. One can always drink water and I do. I keep a water bottle at my desk and fill it from our bubbler a few times a day. This also helps to cut down on trash(see: good for the environment). Water gets a bit boring after a while and that's when I break into my tea collection. I never liked tea as a kid but more recently I have found it very relaxing in the afternoon. Any type of tea is ok. If you are sensitive to caffeine you may choose decaf or herbal types. I like the caffeine for a "pick me up" in the afternoons. Some data suggests that herbal teas may help lower blood pressure as well through a mild diuretic effect. Of course there is always coffee. I personally drink it mostly in the morning. Juice can be ok as well but remember that there is a large sugar component in juice as well. As the nutrition expert Marion Nestle has said, you are better off skipping juice and eating fruit if you want that flavor. Fruit juices are usually made from concentrates and leave out the healthiest part... the pulp(slows digestion...its fiber silly!). So go out and get a water bottle, bring a tupperware container and pack some snacks!

Louis Friedman, DO

No comments:

Post a Comment